SOUS CHEF NF-1101-02
- Announcement Number:
- Food and Beverage
- Position Status:
- Flex, No Benefits
- 16.81 - 21.95 Hourly (Locality Pay Incuded)
- Areas of Consideration:
- ALL SOURCES
- Relocation Expenses:
- NOT AUTHORIZED
- Application Email:
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES The purpose of this position is to assist the Chef of a large catering or multiple facilities in the planning, supervising and coordinating the food preparation, which require a number of items to be prepare and cooked simultaneously for varied scheduled events. Assists Supervisor with coordinating and supervising the activities of cooks and food service workers engaged in preparing and cooking food to ensure economical and efficient food service operation. Oversees and participates in the preparation of a full range of foodstuffs, which includes meats, poultry, seafood, vegetables, soups, sauces, grilled items and desserts. Assists Supervisor in selecting and hiring food service personnel. Provides on-the-job training concerning food preparation, service and proper sanitation and safety standards. Assumes responsibility for kitchen in absence of Head Chef. Attempts to resolve problems, such as substituting items on menus, reducing excess waste and spoilage. Notifies supervisor, or Facility Manage of delays. Establishes stock levels. Receives and checks foodstuffs and supplies for quality and quantity. Assures proper receipt and storage of stock. Ensures proper storage to prevent pilferage, spoilage, waste or misuse in food preparation and storage areas. Maintains inventories of food products and kitchen operating supplies. Participates in all inventories as required.
- Knowledge and ability to perform routine management functions such as planning, scheduling, extensive methods, techniques, practices and coordinating operations of the mess.
- General knowledge of prices, dietetics, grades of food and meal planning, as well as reviewing establishments in nearby communities regarding menus, pricing, services provided and other methods of operating.
- Ability to recommend corrective action as deemed necessary.
- Knowledge to skillfully apply new methods in managing food, and equip employees for expert performance in their duties.
- Knowledge of general methods of cooking, baking, preparing and serving quality food in mass quantities for large groups of people.
- Knowledge and ability to supervise and train personnel in preparing and serving food and supervising store room, bakery operations and services.
- Knowledge and ability to inspect facilities for cleanliness, sanitation, personal hygiene standards and physical condition of furnishings and equipment.
- Knowledge and ability to prepare pertinent records and reports.
- Training from a culinary institute
- 4- Years experience as a Catering Sous Chef and/or Catering Executive Chef with an established organization.
- 5- Years management or assisting management in responsibility and accountability in controlling food cost and labor cost
HOW TO APPLY You must submit a NAF Internal Application or NAF Employment Application to the NAF Human Resource Office, Building 41 2nd floor, Rm 202, Naval Base Ventura County, Port Hueneme or mail to: Building 1180, 29th Avenue, Naval Base Ventura County, Port Hueneme, CA 93043 or fax to (805) 982-5454. For job application email: NBVC_MWR_HRO@navy.mil. We reserve the right to close this position without further announcement. Applicants claiming spouse preference must complete a NAF Employment application and submit with valid PCS orders attached. Applicants who do not meet the above requirements may not be interviewed. Due to volume of applications received, applicants may not be notified of non-selection. RESUMES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED WITHOUT NAF EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION.
Dept. of the Navy NAF is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation or any other non-merit factors. Reasonable accommodations are provided to applicants with disabilities. If reasonable accommodation is needed for any part of the application and hiring process, please contact the Human Resource Office. The decision on granting reasonable accommodations will be on a case-by-case basis.
Navy Region Southwest is a drug-free workplace. The use of illegal drugs by NAF employees, whether on or off duty, cannot and will not be tolerated. Federal employees have a right to a safe and secure workplace. Sailors and their family members have a right to reliable and productive Federal workforce.
Must meet Federal Employment suitability requirements and successful completion of background investigation. Background investigations are conducted using fingerprint identification and completion of background inquiry forms. Employment subject to successful National Agency Background Check.